Germany - Imperial German Empire, Kingdom of Saxony, Third Reich and Hungary: Group of 8 awards comprising: Iron Cross 1914, 2nd Class; Kingdom of Saxony: Silver Medal of the Military Order of Saint Henry, Kingdom of Saxony: Friedrich August Medal in Silver, on War Service ribbon, 1905-1918 issue; Honour Cross 1914-1918 with Swords, reverse makers marked: ‘C & S’; Third Reich: Entry into Czechoslovakia 1938 Medal; Kingdom of Saxony: Long Service Silver Medal for Non-Commissioned Officers, 1st Class for 15 Years; Third Reich: Faithful Service D

Price: £475.00


Product ID: CMA/27527
Condition: evidence of wear, Good Very Fine.
Availability: IN STOCK
Description:

Germany - Imperial German Empire, Kingdom of Saxony, Third Reich and Hungary: Group of 8 awards comprising: Iron Cross 1914, 2nd Class; Kingdom of Saxony: Silver Medal of the Military Order of Saint Henry, Kingdom of Saxony: Friedrich August Medal in Silver, on War Service ribbon, 1905-1918 issue; Honour Cross 1914-1918 with Swords, reverse makers marked: ‘C & S’; Third Reich: Entry into Czechoslovakia 1938 Medal; Kingdom of Saxony: Long Service Silver Medal for Non-Commissioned Officers, 1st Class for 15 Years; Third Reich: Faithful Service Decoration, 2nd Class Silver Grade for 25 Years; Hungary: Commemorative Medal 1914-1918 with Crossed Swords for Combatants. Mounted German court style as worn, on original ribbons all bearing a matching colour and wear, the backing cloth also period to the mounting from the early 1940’s. A rare combination of awards.

Condition: evidence of wear, Good Very Fine.

The origins of the Kingdom of Saxony Military Order of Saint Henry date back to 1736 when Friedrich August II, Elector of Saxony, instituted the Knightly Military Order of St Henry. In 1796 a silver medal was added. Saxony became a Kingdom in 1806 and in 1807 the Order became the Military Order of St Henry, instituted by King Friedrich August I. The medal was awarded in the conflicts of 1849, 1870-1871 and 1914-1918. In all, fewer than 10,000 medals were conferred.

The Kingdom of Saxony Friedrich August Medal was instituted by King Friedrich August III on 23rd April 1905 to be awarded in recognition of meritorious service by servicemen from sergeant downwards and civil persons of similar rank in war and peace.

The Entry into Czechoslovakia or Sudetenland Medal was instituted on 18th October 1938, the medal commemorated the union of the Sudetenland to Germany. The medal was awarded to all German (and as well Sudeten) State officials and members of the German Wehrmacht and SS who marched into Sudetenland. Later it was awarded to military personnel participating in the occupation of the remnants of Czechoslovakia on 15th March 1939. It was awarded until 31st December 1940. In all 1,162,617 medals and 134,563 bars were awarded. For those who had participated in both the occupation of the Sudetenland and the annexation of Bohemia and Moravia on 15th March 1939, a bronze Bar (Spange Prager Burg in German) was approved on 1st May 1939. This Bar featured the Prague Castle on the obverse with two triangular prongs in the back, which held it on the ribbon. The bar, like the medal, die-struck and high in detail, with a bronze finish. It was designed by the sculpturer Hanish-Conée.

The Kingdom of Saxony Long Service Silver Medal for Non-Commissioned Officers was instituted in 1913 in three grades, for 15, 12 and 9 years’ service, replacing the model introduced in 1874.

The Third Reich Faithful Service Decoration was founded on 30th January 1938 in two classes and one special class to reward civilians in the employ of the public services, and in exceptional cases private concerns, for long and faithful service. All officials, employees, and labourers of private concerns who completed 50 or more years of service were eligible for, a special class of the award, The Employee and Worker Faithful Service Medal. The second class award was for 25 years of service and was a silver cross. The first class award was for 40 years of service was a gold cross.

The Hungarian Commemorative Medal 1914-1918 was instituted on 14th November 1929 to acknowledge those who had participated in World War I. There were two versions, one for combatants and one for non-combatants. The two were essentially the same in design but that for combatants had crossed swords on the face and a helmet on the reverse.