Russia - Imperial Russia: Membership Jetton for the Red Cross Society of Elizabeth under the Auspices of Grand Duchess Elizabeth, silver and enamel, with the letter ‘E’ beneath the crown for Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fedorovna, who was responsible for the organisation in Moscow, reverse bears the Kokoshnik assayer's silver hallmark ’84’ and ’ЯЛ’ for Saint Petersburg and makers initials ‘NP’ for Nichols & Plinke of Saint Petersburg. The reverse of the jetton is additionally engraved with the date of issue for 1902, and the recipients name in cursive script ‘У. А. Нeйману’ for ‘U.A. Nejmanu’.
Condition: Good Very Fine.
This badge is shown as Figure 856 in the book ‘Badges of Imperial Russia - Military and Civil’ by Serge Andolenko, the edition translated and enlarged by Robert Werlich.
The Russian Red Cross Society was established by the order of Tsar Alexander II, Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fedorovna was responsible for the organisation in Moscow. There were 109 Red Cross schools of nursing in Russia in 1914. 25000 Sisters of Mercy were trained between 1914 and 1916. The society ran short courses for nurses and sanitary workers in Moscow in 1919 and provided support for mentally ill soldiers.