Germany – Third Reich: Luftwaffe Glider Pilot Badge, mid war zinc example, needle pin, no makers marks, but most likely produced by Adolf Scholze due to its ball hinge for the pin, a mark of this company’s badges. A good example of this hard to find badge
Condition: 95% of the silver wash to the wreath, still present, Good Very Fine
The Glider Pilot's Badge (Segelflugzeugführerabzeichen) was awarded to military pilot's who were members of the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) after they completed their glider training. Honorably discharged personnel who met the requirements could also be awarded the badge. A citation was issued with the awarded badge. It was worn on or right below the left breast tunic pocket. The badge was approved in 1940 and first issued in 1942. It was made by C. E. Juncker in Berlin. The badge was oval in shape and had a silver oakleaf wreath around the outside. The middle of the wreath had a dark oxydized national eagle in flight. A Nazi swastika was at the bottom middle of the outside wreath. Originally made of aluminum, however, in the latter stages of the war it was made of metal alloy. The badge measured 42mm wide by 55mm high and the wingspan of the eagle's wings in the middle was 53mm. There was also a cloth version of the badge which could be worn by officers and NCOs.