Germany - Third Reich: Luftwaffe Flying Clasp for Short Range Day Fighter’s in Gold with 1st type pendant device for 400 Missions Flown, makers marks to reverse reading ’G.H. Osang Dresden’ for G.H. Osang of Dresden, of mid-war manufacture with heavy gilt wash on zinc, with wide gilt tapered pin fitting. A very good example of this badge, and very rare.
Condition: fading to wash on the highlights, Good Very Fine.
The Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe (Frontflugspange) was a Second World War German military decoration awarded to aircrew and certain other Luftwaffe personnel in recognition of the number of operational flights flown. It was awarded in Bronze, Silver, and Gold with an upgrade to include diamonds possible. Front Flying Clasps were issued for missions completed. A bronze clasp was awarded for 20 missions, silver for 60 and gold for 110. The following year, a pendant device of a gold star with sprays of laurel leaves on either side, was instituted to recognise larger numbers of operational flights completed - 250, 300, 400 or 500 depending upon the branch of service. By mid 1944, this pendant had been replaced by a new variety containing a boxed numeral marked in increments of 100 from 200 to 2000, indicative of the greater pressure now being placed upon Luftwaffe aircrew.