Germany - Third Reich: Kriegsmarine Destroyer Badge, mid war example with a heavy gilt wash, makers marks to reverse ‘W.H.’ for Wilhelm Hobachter of Wien (Vienna), with horizontal needle pin fitting. A superb example of type and hard to find.
Condition: gilt wash mostly present, overall Good Very Fine or better.
The Destroyer Badge was instituted on 4th June, 1940 by Grand Admiral Erich Raeder following the battle of Narvik. In all, about six thousand Destroyer War Badges were awarded during the war. A handful of Destroyer War Badges with diamonds were also manufactured but there were no bestowals of the diamond upgrade to any Kriegsmarine member. Records indicate that the Destroyer War Badge with diamonds was to be a highly selective award and presented to only the most successful destroyer captains at the conclusion of World War II. The standard badge was awarded to all those who were serving on destroyers who were either wounded in action, had participated in three enemy engagements or at least in 12 non-enemy sorties, had sunk an enemy ship in action, or for outstanding performance or other heroic deeds.